9/19/08

Last night I went to the wake of a childhood friend.
If you recall he was in a single engine plane crash back in July.
He was in a coma, had multiple surgeries to amputate more and more of his legs and he finally passed away on Monday.
He was 38 years old and his wife predeceased him; she did not survive the crash.

This was a truly bizarre experience for me.
I had not seen him in over 25 years and the person I remembered was nothing like the adult he had become.
He was the neighborhoods “Chunk” long before Goonies was ever a movie.
He was plump and jovial and good natured; always, always ready with a big toothy grin.
The kid everyone got along with because he could be such a chameleon.
The kid we all swore would be still “trying to find himself” when he was 38; we all thought he become a typical aging frat boy.
He grew into a very handsome man,
Still jovial, from what I understand.
He went on to own an Inn, skydive, scuba, become an avid motorcyclist things we never though he’d even dream about as a child.

Everywhere I turned I ran into my childhood.
People I hadn’t see since I was 14 or so, people I didn’t recognized but who recognized me; people who still live in this small town but yet I haven’t seen in years.
Of course we reminisced and laughed and felt guilty and promised not to let another 25 years go by before we’d see each other again but as we all know the chances of that happening are slim.
I think because once we were through reminiscing we would find that we would have very little in common.

I left the wake feeling sad for a family’s loss and feeling a wee bit lost myself.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your childhood friend.

It's just wrong to have to put to rest someone so young and full of life...

I only keep in touch with one person from my school years. She's the only one I care to.

Karl said...

Morning Dark Lady,

Sorry for the loss of your friend, he appears to a lived a full life.

It seems natural to be reflective after encountering people from your past. What if I chose this path instead of that one, turned left instead of right. they were there to witness the beginning your journey through life and you were there for Theirs.

KJ said...

Going back is always hard

SignGurl said...

I think sometimes we need to find the good in situations like this. You were reminded of your childhood and the fact that you are, indeed, different than people you grew up with. But, your childhood shapes who you become.

*Dr. Freud steps off the pedestal, lol*

Evening said...

Oh DL, I am sorry for you loss. I know this feeling very well. A few years ago my childhood friend, that I hadn't seen in years died. His funeral was my childhood revisited. It was a very strange experience. I left that funeral feeling very sad and nostalgic, I felt horrible for my friends family but I also felt a huge loss myself, and one that surprised me because I hadn't seen K in many, many years.
I had a baby in highschool, that was the time I knew this friend, his best friend was my baby's father. I gave my son up for adoption and when I left the funeral that day I felt loss like I hadn't felt in years. I felt loss of my childhood, loss of a man that shouldn't have died so young, loss of a son I don't know...just LOSS.
I stopped on the way home at an Applebees to get something to carry out. I sat and waited at the bar. While waiting my oldest son called me and just hearing his voice after being in this strange state that didn't feel like the present at all, sent me into tears and sobbing I couldn't control. I freaked the bartender at this place out :)
Any way, what is it that takes you to that place and makes you feel it in the present? The same joy, the same connections, the same pain, that you felt years before?
Again DL, I am sorry for you loss.
xo

ell said...

so sorry....

What the Chuck said...

Hi DL,

Here's the thing.

You kept growing.

Most of your friends didn't.

People typically check out in life where they feel comfortable. For some, it's high school. Others, college. But by the time 99% of all people reach 30, they're checked out.

Enlightenment and self-discovery is often billed as a path to happiness. And in a sense, you can't go back.

But it is lonely.

XOXO

Chuck