8/22/08

What do you see when you look in the mirror?

I can not avoid mirrors, they are a part of my everyday life...In a big way.
For those of you who don't know, I'm a dance teacher and everyday I have to face a wall of mirrors sometimes more than one wall.

I have trained my eyes to only see the movement my body makes and not actually "see" myself.
It's a survival instinct, a coping mechanism.
If I actually had to look at my self I'd go mad.

I accepted my body a long time ago, it is what it is and I'm not too upset by it. I've actually changed my body quite a bit by working out; you could say that I can control my body.
Diet, exercise, how I stand and what I wear can all make a big difference.

My face on the other hand, I have no control over and that's where my war really is. I don't like my face. Is that really awful? I know so many woman who have body issues but tell me that they concentrate on their faces and how pretty they look.

I have trained my self to avoid looking at my entire face, I'll look at my eyes but only the actual eyeball because my droopy eyelids make me sad. I'll look at my lips but not the area where my chin would be if I had a chin. I'll put blush on but avoid looking at the chipmunk cheeks that are slowly but surely becoming jowls.

Say what you want but it's what I see, when I see.
In the vernacular I truly believe I am a "Buttah Face"
Everything is hot buttah face
But that's fine because I don't look at my face, at least not from close up and definitely without my glasses.

I want to be the kind of person (like many men I know) who look in the mirror and say, "YEAH! That's what I'm talking 'bout" or something like that.

So...What do you see when you look in the mirror?

12 comments:

SignGurl said...

Oh, DL, you know as well as I do that all women have these issues.

I was the complete opposite as you, only looking directly at my face because I couldn't face the body that reflected back at me. It was totally a coping mechanism. I couldn't function daily if I actually knew what I looked like to others, so I ignored it.

Mr. Sign is one of those guys that can look in the mirror and love what he sees. How do men not see their flaws? I don't get it and yet I envy them. I want so much to be able to accept what I am. I hate only seeing the flaws.

I know it doesn't mean much to you, but I think you are absolutely beautiful.

Karl said...

Good Afternoon Dark Lady,

Unless you have a stand in playing you in all the pictures and video clips you've shown over the years, you're being far too critical on yourself. You have a lovely face and yes a nice body, you also have a grace of movement that complements both.

"So...What do you see when you look in the mirror?"

Pretty much the same guy I've always seen in the mirror, just with a few more wrinkles few more scars and going to gray. The flaws are there, so what.

Aside from keeping one's self in shape, there's not much else you can do, so why worry about it.

Anonymous said...

FYI- NOT THAT IT MATTERS BUT I LOVE YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE.

I DON'T LIKE TO LOOK AT MY HANDS OR FACE. THEY LOOK TOO MUCH LIKE MY MOTHER'S AND I CAN'T STAND HER.

Slow Learner said...

It's all in the eye of the beholder, and I've always liked what I behold, no matter what you say :o)

What the Chuck said...

Hi DL,

Having beheld you, at least in photos - I think yer cute!

XOXOXOXO

Chuck

terry said...

DL, you're beautiful.

what do i see in the mirror? depends on the day. sometimes, all i can see are the flaws. sometimes, i think i look pretty cute.

KJ said...

*hugs*

SheenV said...

You're beautiful! As Henry Rollings said "If you could see the you that I see when I see you looking at me, you'd see yourself so differently. Belive me!"

Anonymous said...

It is the most amazing thing. I see an old man, tired and pale. And yet I see a six year old boy, in wonder and amazement.

figleaf said...

I dunno, DL. Based on the two photos in your next post (congrats on the TV appearance by the way) a lot of people would kill to see your face looking back at them in the mirror.

You've got the biggest smile in the world, big eyes to match. Add everything else and it's a cute, elfin effect.

No lie.

figleaf

Evening said...

You know, before I saw a picture of you, I knew you were a beauty. I could tell from the words you wrote on your blog and the kindness, I experienced in knowing you. I don't know what you see when you look in the mirror but I am sure it is not what I see when I look at pictures of you. I see a woman that looks much younger than her age and a beauty with long dark hair and beautiful eyes and lips.
DL, I have always had body issues too but in the last year I learned a big lesson about that. I actually now, kind of think I am ok for my age. I lost both breast and still, I feel sexy and feminine. Teaching my pole classes, I saw, in my own self and in women in my classes, beauty and sensuality come in all sizes, shapes and forms, it comes from within. Even a woman with no breasts of her own anymore can be a sexy woman. I am learning to appreciate myself more and look for the good in what I have been given. It took me 49 years to start to learn this lesson but I feel a change in myself, a change in thought I hope you can find too. You need to see what the rest of the world sees when they look at you.
HUGS.
Maureen

Evening said...

Oh and I forgot, YOU HAVE BEAUTIFUL SKIN TOO!!!
xo