9/5/08

  • If you are a woman or young girl or know a woman or young girl
    pass this on to them.

    It's from Seventeen magazine
  • I vow to:

    Remember that the sun will still rise tomorrow even if I had one too many slices of pizza or an extra scoop of ice cream tonight.

  • Never blame my body for the bad day I'm having.

  • Stop joining in when my friends compare and trash their own bodies.

  • Never allow a dirty look from someone else to influence how I feel about my appearance.

  • Quit judging a person solely by how his or her body looks — even if it seems harmless — because I'd never want anyone to do that to me.

  • Notice all the amazing things my body is doing for me every moment I walk, talk, think, breathe...

  • Quiet that negative little voice in my head when it starts to say mean things about my body that I'd never tolerate anyone else saying about me.

  • Remind myself that what you see isn't always what you get on TV and in ads — it takes a lot of airbrushing, dieting, money, and work to look like that.

  • Remember that even the girl who I'd swap bodies with in a minute has something about her looks that she hates.

  • Respect my body by feeding it well, working up a sweat when it needs it, and knowing when to give it a break.

  • Realize that the mirror can reflect only what's on the surface of me, not who I am inside.
    Know that I'm already beautiful just the way I am.

14 comments:

Jim said...

Excellent.

XO

ell said...

words to live by.

browser58 said...

When I finished reading this, my browser showed the top of the earlier entry showing you laying on the floor at Alvin Ailey with a smile of pure joy on your face. This was a perfect example of both inner and outer beauty shining in a single picture. Today's entry made a point and the picture demonstrated it.

What the Chuck said...

Hi DL,

I think one of the ways to quiet those voices is to have girls have something to DO besides fret about how they look.

Self-acceptance can take a lifetime -- but self-esteem can be built with real accomplishment.

XOXO

Heather said...

I need to borrow that for my Jess... She's 14 and ... well, that 'bout says it all, huh?

Anonymous said...

"Quiet that negative little voice in my head when it starts to say mean things about my body that I'd never tolerate anyone else saying about me."
My favorite!

SignGurl said...

I'm taking this all to heart and sharing it with my girls :-)

Karl said...

Good Morning Dark Lady,

Fine words, althought its source and magazines like it contain loads of advertising prey upon these self image issues to sell their products. A mixed message that many would do better without.

KJ said...

I love this.

Excellent

terry said...

this is great.

and those pics of you in the previous post are so beautiful!

Slow Learner said...

Good for you - exactly right. And if you can get something of this across to your youngsters it'll stand them in good stead for the rest of their lives.

The irony is that I always used to feel good about myself and then recently realised with a jolt that I was a bit of a wreck for most of my adult life. Still, I've now been taken in hand by someone who cares for me, and now I'm right to feel good ;o)

But you ALWAYS look great :o)

Mongoose said...

Don't remember, the Gooser, huh?

sassinak said...

i have a mirror rule actually and it's helped enormously.

i can look as long as i am DOING something like putting on makeup or fixing my outfit BUT the second my little fat laser pointer eyes start to search for bulges i just turn away and do something else.

it has done more for my self-esteem than anything else except being fit.

barman said...

What wonderful advice. People, especially woman, suffer from body image problems. It is such a shame. I mean being a guy I notice the physical first but I get beyond that pretty fast and move on to what is inside which is way more important.